Thursday, November 25, 2021

Just Two Gypsies' Worst Thanksgiving Ever

 Thanksgiving 2021 will go down in Gypsy Family History as The Worst Thanksgiving Ever...

The whole week started off with an ominous bang when we had to rush Twyla Rose to the Emergency Vet Clinic Tuesday night.  (Twyla Rose is a much-loved tri-colored beagle, and is the absolute center of our family unit. Twyla has been undergoing treatment for leukemia since early April.)


Twyla was admitted and treated for pneumonia.  Wednesday morning, we were told that she was "alert and bouncing around", and that she could possibly go home later in the afternoon.  Siobhan and I scurried around, getting things ready for sweet Twyla's homecoming; we washed her bedding, vacuumed and cleaned the carpet, placed ferns and houseplants near her bed, and filled the refrigerator with all her favorite foods. Now all we had to do was wait on the call to go pick her up.

Then disaster struck.  The oncologist called with the news that Twyla's lymph nodes had doubled in size since 7 days ago.  The cancer was growing unchecked--the stronger chemotherapy didn't work.  She recommended euthanasia.  Now.  

Siobhan and I were devastated, but we were not in denial.  We knew there was no cure for leukemia.  We knew the end was coming.  We didn't know it was today.  We had already ordered a truly beautiful child's coffin--all the pet casket companies were on long-term back-order--it was to be delivered next Monday.  We couldn't wait for Monday... So we opted to have her cremated instead--but it's The Holidays.  Everything is in limbo for now.

So Siobhan and I went home, and proceeded to Drink.  (Myself more so than Siobhan.) And PRAY--please don't lose our dog.  Or her ashes.

Wednesday arrived, and we slogged through our usual farm chores and house work.  Then we tried to make a couple of casseroles a day early, thinking it would ease some of the cooking workload for tomorrow.  HA!

We made a green bean casserole.  Later, I found the evaporated milk that was supposed to go in it (!). Sigh. We made a sweet potato casserole--the topping never looked right...it just looked really dry and crumbly.  (In the middle of the night, I woke suddenly and realized, "I never added the melted butter!")  Oh well.

Thursday morning rolled around, and I boiled the eggs for the devilled eggs.   (Yeah, they were store-bought--our hens are ON BREAK, and I had to buy eggs--and they were fresh. ) Of course they wouldn't peel--of course they were a DISASTER.  Four hours later, and I am still struggling to peel these bastards.  They've been UNREFRIGERATED the whole time.  POTENTIAL  FOOD POISONING!!

See the source image 

Then Liam got the tin foil, lard bucket, and charcoal ready to cook our traditional Turkey-In-A-Bucket.  And after "thawing" that 10 lb. turkey in the refrigerator for 4 days, it was still frozen!! Fast-forward to the microwave for "flash thawing"--again, POTENTIAL FOOD POISONING!!  TIMES TEN!!!

 So...5 or 6...(or maybe 7!!) mimosas later, I don't even care. What's a little food poisoning between friends?!?   Our dog just died.  My mother can't even remember 5 minutes ago.  My sister, Saphrona,  just got out of the hospital with "Crack lung" for the 3rd time this year.  My aunt and uncle are in a nursing home.  My brother is still crazy.  Some things never change.

I am thankful that Siobhan, Liam, and I are still alive--and I'm thankful for our health.  I'm thankful for our remaining 2 dogs, 3 horses, 2 cats, and 12 chickens.  And I'm thankful for my memories...Happy Thanksgiving.

 

 











No comments:

Post a Comment